Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

My confession ~ the plain truth

Last week, during my blog break, I was doing a lot of thinking. I was thinking about all the things I needed to do, all the deadlines that were coming up, and all the things I was falling behind on. I was also thinking about the areas I was slacking in.

I had been feeling behind for a while, but last week the feelings caught up to the tasks. I started to feel frustrated. Like I was not being the wife and mother that I knew I should be. So, I had to take a minute and reevaluate what I do, when I do it, and how I do it. My priorities needed to be examined. I realized that, although I do things for other people, my attitude had been all about me. I was desperately wanting people to serve me for once, to do for me what I do for them.

Unfortunately, I let this feeling come between my time with God and what I've been called to do as a mother and a wife. I should have picked up my Bible and prayed the first time I had those feelings. Instead, I let them grow into discontentment. When that happens you just keep wanting more from people instead of being willing to serve and be happy. In the end you're unhappy and miserable, and, in turn, you make people around you miserable.

The reality is that, as a Christian, my job is to serve others with a cheerful spirit. I am to humble myself and become like Christ, at whatever cost.

Philippians 2:3-11
  1. Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves.
  2. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.
  3. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
  4. Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to.
  5. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges, he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form,
  6. he humbled himself to obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.
  7. Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names,
  8. That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
  9. and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ in Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
I was definitely humbled, to say the least. Sadly, I neglected my quiet time as well. Just a few moments with God and yet it effects everything I do and every action of mine. It comes out in the way I speak and act.

Take a minute and read what Dr Stanley wrote about living an obedient lifestyle.

Choosing an Obedient Lifestyle
Romans 6:16-18

Though God is sovereign and omnipotent, many believers don't trust Him to guide them. Instead they think about obedience on a case-by-case basis, evaluating how the consequences of various choices might affect their life. But the Lord desires followers whose lifestyle is submissive--in other words, people who've made a deliberate decision to surrender to His will in every circumstance.

When confronted with the idea of absolute submission, many of us are assaulted by anxious thoughts: What if the Lord wants me to do something I can't? Or, What if I don't want to do what He asks? We fear we wouldn't have the strength, wisdom, or faith to carry out commands He might give. And we'd be right--if we relied upon our own resources. But if we commit to obedience, God equips us at the right moment to follow where He leads.

One obedient act prepares us for the next. Each step of faith shows us that God not only supplies the tools and preparation for doing His will; He also handles the consequences.

In spite of the God's faithfulness, however, we will take a misstep every now and then. We're not alone. As Scripture shows, even saints' lives include occasional rebellious acts, because obedience is a learning process. Jesus rebuked Peter several times (Matt. 16:21-23; John 18:10-11; Mark 14:72). Yet He continued to train the disciple in righteousness.

Believers learn from both successes and failures how to live a lifestyle of commitment. But we must first make a decision to follow God regardless of the outcome. His sovereignty demands our obedience.


My day needs to start with obedience to Him. I need to sit down and spend time in His word and in prayer. I need to be prayerfully seeking His will when it comes to the children He has entrusted me to raise and teach. I need to be modeling an attitude of servant hood, not "I want" "I need". I need to do that by becoming a servant and leading by example. I also need to willingly submit my thoughts and my attitude to God and ask him to help me minute by minute.

This is not easy. However, in striving to be like Christ, we were never given any assurance this would be easy. In fact, it's just the opposite. As long as we keep our focus on Christ and trust Him in each and every circumstance, we will be able to make it through anything.

So, that is my true confession. I hope this helps someone in some way. I never claim to be perfect or have all the answers, but I have been saved and forgiven by an awesome God. Without Him I am nothing. He deserves all the praise.

No comments: