Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Aware

God has blessed me with an amazing opportunity to be a mother to the most beautiful children (I may be slightly partial). I am humbled and awed at the responsibility I've been given. I do not take it lightly nor do I go into it blindly. I am always striving to know more, learn more, be a better mom and wife, and study His word on all of these things.

Part of my responsibility, I feel, is to know what is going on in the world. I may not be up to date on the latest oil prices, know what the stock market is doing or have an idea of what the latest fashions are, but I do try my hardest to know what is happening to influence families. I feel this is my area to know because I've been entrusted with raising children and teaching them about God and how to love and serve Him with their whole hearts.

Lately I've been reminded of the need to be prepared. With a new president there will be many changes in our country and we need to be well informed and equipped to handle the changes. We know that God puts leaders into power and He removes them. I know my responsibility as a Christian is to support my president through prayer and respect the authority God has bestowed upon him/her. However, I know that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything or support the decisions that directly go against what God says.

I also know that being prepared (and at times concerned) doesn't mean we need to live in fear of what's to come.

II Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self discipline."


See, we know what is to come. We know the end of the story. We know what to expect and what will happen. None of this should take us by surprise. Read what Paul said to Timothy in the following verses:

II Timothy 3:1-9

1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times.

2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred.

3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.

4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God.

5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!

6 They are the kind who work their way into people’s homes and win the confidence of vulnerable women who are burdened with the guilt of sin and controlled by various desires.

7 (Such women are forever following new teachings, but they are never able to understand the truth.)

8 These teachers oppose the trugh just as jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and counterfeit faith.

9 But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as with Jannes and Jambres.

Does any of that sound familiar? I know I see this every day. All I have to do is turn on the evening news. Which, by the way, is why I don't watch the news.

I received this article in my inbox several days ago and it was a reminder to me of my need to be praying for our my children and teaching them to live a holy and upright life. I pray they will grow up and be blessed enough to have a husband/wife and children of their own. If they do have children they will be raising them in times that could be more difficult spiritually than these times right now. I only pray that God gives me the wisdom to teach them those things He wants them to know in order that they would be prepared for the trials they may face as parents.

(for more research on the above link I went to here, here and here)

So my prayer(s) for today are as follows:

To be watchful & aware
1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a
roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."

Protected

Ephesians 6:10-20
"10
A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
11
Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all
strategies of the devil.

12
For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers
and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

13
Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm.
14
Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness.
15
For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.
16
In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.
17
Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18
Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.
19
And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike.
20
I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should."

Filled with the fruits of the Spirit

Galations 5:22-23a"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness,
gentleness and self-control."

Live wisely

Ephesians 5:15-16 "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Teach our children wisely

Deuteronomy 4:9 "Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them."


No comments: