Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The next thing


From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message for me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, as it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours the quiet words ring,
Like a low inspiration: DO THE NEXT THING.

Many a questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment let down from heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus. DO THE NEXT THING.

Do it immediately; do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command,
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resulting. DO THE NEXT THING.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering) be thy demeanor.
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance by thy psalm.
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing!
Then, as He beckons thee,
DO THE NEXT THING.
(anonymous)

On those days, when you are weary and exhausted. When you feel as if you can't do one more thing...

How comforting to know that we don't have to worry about this afternoon or tomorrow. We just need to take each moment and do what God asks us to do with much prayer and diligence. Whether that be in our jobs, our home, with our children, or our daily tasks that seem so mundane. When we do our work "...heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." Colossians 3:23, it pleases Him.


When we do have those moments of fear and worry it's clear what we are to do.

Matthew 11:28 "Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest."


Today, my prayer is that I will remember to be faithful to the task God has called me to do as a wife, mother and keeper of our home. That I would do things cheerfully and with a smile on my face even when I am tired and discouraged. My prayer is that I would call upon Him to provide strength to "do the next thing".

Psalm 121:2 "My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."





No comments: