Monday, April 21, 2008

The "G" family vs. the ER

We have another wonderful chapter to add to our ER stories!

Before I tell you the latest and greatest let me take you back a bit for a bit 'o history!

It all started last summer at the "little park". It was a beautiful, sunny day. We were playing on the swings, the kids were going down the slide, my sisters and I were taking funny pictures, and Afton was learning how to go across the monkey bars.

She was doing well until she decided to try it herself...and fell! Right on her elbow. Nobody panic, this kid falls all the time and I usually wait it out a bit. We figured it was a bit more than a bump when she was really saying it hurt, a lot. Afton said it every time we went over a bump or sneezed! So, I dropped the family off and away we went to the ER. 3 1/2 hours later (and pretty late at night!) we came home with a temporary cast and orders to see a specialist the next day.

I was praying the visit would not involve a cast. As we all can imagine, cast + 3 year old + summer = no fun for anyone! Long story short she had a bit of swelling and I was instructed to have her "take it easy". (Um, ok...she's 3, I'll see what I can do)

Skipping ahead to October...

Caleb was pretty sick and I was watching him carefully. He
always seems to get really high fevers. 103 isn't uncommon for him. However, when I picked him up after his nap he seemed much warmer than usual and kind of lethargic. Those two never mix! So, I took his temp and it was 105!!! A bit panicked I called his doctors office and they proceeded to inform me that technically it was 104 since I took it rectally! Who cares!?!?!?!?! So, that meant another trip to the ER!

Skip ahead a few more months....

Mike was really sick and couldn't stop coughing. He had a fever, chill
s, body aches, and would cough until he choked. All the signs and symptoms pointed to the flu. Well, finally, one night he asks me to take him somewhere. Really tired of taking up residence at the ER I decided to try a local (25 minutes away) urgent care. We got there around 5pm and were out within an hour and a half!!! We managed to shave off about 2 hours!!! Hooray!!
(Mike ended up having pneumonia, so he had to pick up meds that should have been made out of gold for the price they charged. He was better after a few days so I would have paid it 100 times if I had to!)

That brings us to yesterday...
We had a double/triple birthday party with my family. It was a beautiful day so the kids were outside playing. Caleb was totally taken with the "tractor" so Uncle Lee offered to hook up the trailer and give the kids a ride! As they were going around the yard the tire on the trailer ran over a stick, which broke, and went flying up to hit Afton directly in the left eye!

I was inside so I only heard the cries of pain! I take one look at her eye and realized we had another ER visit in our future.

Needless to say, after talking with her doctor, packing up the van with kids and stuff, driving over an hour to get home, unpacking kids, rocking Caleb and laying him down and finally getting to the ER it was getting late. We walked into the ER at 7:05pm and walked out 3 hours later at 10:05pm. Then we went to Walgreens! Thankfully they are open 24 hours so we filled her RX. Afton and I finally got home at 10:30pm. I was able to crawl into bed at 11:30 and immediately fell asleep!

This morning Afton's eye still looks "bloody", but they always look worse than they are. Thank goodness eyes heal faster than cuts and scrapes!

The morning has been a bit rough though. I think our fiasco yesterday took a lot out of me and the kids! It was rough getting going!

So, that is our story in a nutshell!

I'm hoping to avoid the ER for a long time, but summer is coming and that means my kids are prone to injury! I'm starting to feel like my best friend, Kate with all these trips to the ER!

Here are a few happy pictures from yesterday!

Afton & Caleb before the "accident".

We put a helmet & safety goggles on Afton after her "accident". She really wanted to go back out! So, while we waited for the doctor to call back she & Caleb went for a few more spins around the yard with Uncle Lee!

The birthday present Mike & I got my brother! His name is Matt! Get it...a "mat" for Matt?

No comments: