Pages

Friday, January 9, 2009

Saving with my Keurig

Those of you who read my Christmas post saw that my hubby bought me this beautiful, shiny Keurig for Christmas.

I've been using it and loving every minute of it. One really cool feature is that you can use a K-cup or your own ground coffee. It has a K-cup sized coffee filter to put your grounds in if you choose to do it with your coffee.

I was wicked happy about that because I had several bags of coffee in my cupboard. The only thing I was not looking forward to was purchasing the actual K-cups. It just seemed to be more expensive.

My mom did the math and she said it came out to about $0.50 per cup, but I figured my ground coffee would come out to be less. More work, less money...I'm cool with that.

So, I just did the math on the ground coffee.

If I have a 12 oz bag of coffee I get approximately 27 scoops of coffee out of it. With the Keurig 1 scoop = 1 cup of coffee.

I spent $5.99 on a bag of DD ground coffee (thanks to CVS and a $1 off coupon)

That would mean I am "paying" $0.21 for a cup of coffee. I'm saving $0.29 NOT buying the K-cups. I like that!

I took it even further and figured this out:

A 12 oz bag of coffee @ $6.99 per bag = $0.26 per cup
A 12 oz bag of coffee @ $7.50 per bag = $0.28 per cup

I did those figures just in case I didn't have a coupon and had to buy at full price. Either way I still save over the K-cups.

Now, this doesn't mean I won't ever buy the K-cups. They're totally fun! How could I not buy them?!

Thanks, honey, for my really cool gift! I love it and I love that you know me and what I like!


3 comments:

Amy said...

You drinkt he DD at home too! Its my favorite.

The cheapest place I have found the DD is at Sam's ($15 for a 40oz bag. If you have a local DD, you can get a 16oz bag for about $9. Around here, the 10oz bag at food lion goes for about $7.5.

Rune said...

Thank you for sweet comment:) I will try to come up whit a bread recipet:)

Wibeche

Rune said...

I wonder if you want to share your recipe on your bread you mention?

Wib.