Do you see the lovely jars sitting in my cupboard? Me too! I love looking at them, admiring them and shaking them. Yes, shaking.
In 6 months I'm also gonna love opening them up and using what's inside. Yum!
It's so easy too.
All you need are:
- Vanilla beans (Which I purchased from Ebay. I was able to get 1lb for $29.99 which is a great price and they sent 1/4 lb free!)
- Cheap vodka
- You will need 3 beans per 1 cup of vodka.
- Cut vanilla beans in half lengthwise while still leaving it attached at the top.
- Put them into the jar & add the appropriate amount of vodka.
- Seal and store in a cool, dry place.
- Don't forget to shake it once a week.
In 6 months you will have homemade vanilla extract which you can use to your little hearts content.
Just remember your homemade extract will be slightly stronger than what you are used to purchasing at the store so use a little less.
Oh, and if you get this started sooner rather than later you will have a wonderful, homemade Christmas gift to give to the bakers in your life!